Need help? 02081338131

Usually there are 4 levels of translation / certification, depending on how they will be used and to whom it will be submitted. The translation and certification can be either:

  1. stamped and signed by a representative from the company or by the translation professional,
  2. sworn in front of a lawyer,
  3. notarised by a notary public.
  4. and legalised (Apostilled) at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

We provide all above types of translation and certification, use our calculator on the Home Page (Purpose) for guidance on the type of level required.



This type of translation is usually required for documents from a foreign language into English for use in the United Kingdom for Immigration, Universities, Associations, etc. We just attach a copy of your original document to the certified UK translation in most cases, (see 'Sending Docs to Certified UK Translation' for exceptions) and when you present your documents to whoever requested it, you may be asked to submit your original document along with the certified UK translation. We also attach a Declaration including details of the translator verifying that it is complete and accurate.



This type of translation and certification is usually required for submission abroad, or for submission to UK Courts of Law, or some organisations requiring a higher level of translation certification and some Consulates. The translation certification will be Sworn in front of a Commissioner for Oaths (Lawyer). We also attach a Sworn Declaration Affidavit including the translator details swearing on oath that it is complete and accurately translated from the original document. This Sworn Declaration is also dated and includes the translator's signature and is signed and stamped by the Lawyer. Sometimes the original document is required (not just a copy/scan) if the document is a Crown Copyright document issued by the General Register Office (such as UK Birth/Marriage/Divorce/Naturalisation/Death/Police Criminal Records). Also sometimes, depending on the requirement of the recipients, they request a certified true copy* to be attached, in which we will need to see the original and make a certified true copy.

*A Certified True Copy of Original Certificate means that the Original Certificate is photocopied, signed & stamped as a True Copy by a Lawyer or Notary Public. You can get a True Copy done yourself at any lawyer or notary or we can do it for you as part of the Sworn process. True Copies are NOT applicable to Crown Copyright certificates such as UK General Register Office (GRO) Birth, Marriage, No Impediment to Marry, Death certificates, Naturalisation Certificates or Police Criminal Record Checks. We can only stamp originals or extracts of originals issued by the authority.



This type of translation certification is usually required for documents issued by the General Register Office or signed in front of a Notary, or issued by some other countries to be used in a higher capacity abroad (or for use with foreign consulates in the UK) such as Power of Attorney, Affidavit Declaration, buying property abroad, opening a company abroad, Probate/Inheritance, any other transaction abroad involving commercial activity or for High Court proceedings and some Embassies.

The Original certificate is usually required when a translation will be notarized because the translation and the original certificate (or Certified True Copy) will be signed and stamped before a Notary Public. We also attach a Notary Declaration including the details of the translation professional declaring on oath that it is a complete and accurate translation of the original. This Notary Declaration is also dated and includes the translator's signature and is signed and stamped by the UK Notary Public.


Apostille example

If the certificate is to be submitted abroad, you may also need to have your Translation and Certification not only sworn or notarized but also legalised at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO). (The FCO will not legalise Basic Certified UK Translated Documents, they have to bear the signature of either a registered Solicitor or Notary).

Legalisation is the confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a British public certificate is genuine. It does not authenticate the content of the certificate. Please check with whomever you are submitting the documents to whether legalisation of the original document or legalization of translation document is required. You can legalise the Translation yourself at the FCO or we can do it on your behalf in two ways:

- 3 days: We go to the FCO in Milton Keynes for legalisation and it's collected over the next two days.

- Premium (one day): We go to the FCO office direct in Central London.

In some cases, when a Certified UK Translation is legalised (Apostille), the Original Certificate may also need to be legalised. Check with your representative. In which case, you will need to supply us with your already Legalised Original Certificate or request from us to have your Original Certificate Legalised.

Please check that the destination country where you are presenting your documents is on the list of Member Countries of the Hague Convention. If not, after legalisation you may also need one last step, which is to present the legalised documents to the relevant foreign consulate in London for further consular legalisation.